• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 597 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
I have typed this many times over the years, but it seems that I am alone in this thinking: if your legs are good and you don't have a mishap (flat, mechanical, crash, road side idiots...) you don't need friendly wheels to follow, just follow the other GC guys/teams. Obviously the big hole in that is if you do have a mishap, and you don't have a least one team mate to help you out, you might be screwed. That being said, TREK should be able to put together a solid Giro team for VN. Port's best days were winning week-long stage races and being a dom in GTs so he should go back to that.

I like this move overall: good for VN and good for TREK.

2 things ...

You need a good one or two climbing Doms and I mean top climbing doms to beat Ineos ,etc
To chase or to put pressure high up on GC
Movistar had it this Giro and Ineos have it every Tour
No getting away from this set up

Richie Porte left the comfort of SKY to be a GT leader
Not sure he will go back to being a happy Dom for Nibali

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
jmdirt said:
I have typed this many times over the years, but it seems that I am alone in this thinking: if your legs are good and you don't have a mishap (flat, mechanical, crash, road side idiots...) you don't need friendly wheels to follow, just follow the other GC guys/teams. Obviously the big hole in that is if you do have a mishap, and you don't have a least one team mate to help you out, you might be screwed. That being said, TREK should be able to put together a solid Giro team for VN. Port's best days were winning week-long stage races and being a dom in GTs so he should go back to that.

I like this move overall: good for VN and good for TREK.

2 things ...

You need a good one or two climbing Doms and I mean top climbing doms to beat Ineos ,etc
To chase or to put pressure high up on GC
Movistar had it this Giro and Ineos have it every Tour
No getting away from this set up

Richie Porte left the comfort of SKY to be a GT leader
Not sure he will go back to being a happy Dom for Nibali
My point is that is doesn't matter what wheel you're on when the race goes up the road: friend or foe. If you're good, everyone is on your wheel! :D

Italian National RR, 30 June. Haven't seen anywhere a confirmation that he'll race it.

xcampionati-italiani-strada-2019.jpg

Theoretically there is the rule that says you have to ride the NC if you want to be part of the national team.

Anyway if that one is the profile, meh...
It was supposed to be a bit harder this year but the climb in that route is again a false flat on which you can drop only Pelucchi, Guardini and Mareczko, Cassani should really love sprinters, there wasn't a single race for sprinters between 1997 and 2015 and then now it's the third time in four years :rolleyes:

Re:

Nirvana said:
Theoretically there is the rule that says you have to ride the NC if you want to be part of the national team.

It was supposed to be a bit harder this year but the climb in that route is again a false flat on which you can drop only Pelucchi, Guardini and Mareczko, Cassani should really love sprinters, there wasn't a single race for sprinters between 1997 and 2015 and then now it's the third time in four years :rolleyes:
The climb is rather irregular:
file.php

This climb 10 times and the finish line is close to the end of the descent, it is a route for Colbrelli, Bettiol and Moscon, if they are in great shape, not for the pure sprinters. Nibali has a chance if the others are watching Colbrelli.

Nibali is in Livigno with Caruso and their respective families, recuperating after the Giro, more mentally than physically, easy training. Slongo says the objective is to keep the shape but without stress and hard work. They will be there until the Italian Championships RR on June 30th.

How Vincenzo will approach the Tour remains to be seen after later assessment, the initial idea is to race without the pressure to get a result (GC).

Mayomaniac said:
Nirvana said:

file.php

This climb 10 times and the finish line is close to the end of the descent, it is a route for Colbrelli, Bettiol and Moscon, if they are in great shape, not for the pure sprinters. Nibali has a chance if the others are watching Colbrelli.
It's irregular but the harder parts are very short, there should be someone willing to make the race selective or very bad weather otherwise the only chance to see something interesting is again a free for all like last year.

Nirvana said:
Mayomaniac said:
Nirvana said:

file.php

It's irregular but the harder parts are very short, there should be someone willing to make the race selective or very bad weather otherwise the only chance to see something interesting is again a free for all like last year.

Bettiol will win.

I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.

Re:

spalco said:
I'm not a big Nibali fan, and maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm starting to kind of dislike these "voodoo" jokes, because it implies Nibali is rejoicing at the misfortune of his opponents which I'm sure he's far too much of a sportsman to do. I'm sure he'd much rather beat Thomas, Froome, etc on the road instead of see them crashing out, or lose trying, but not this.
What voodoo jokes?

Re:

spalco said:

I just think they're incredibly annoying, but I don't think they really imply that he rejoices.

Re:

spalco said:

I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?

RedheadDane said:
spalco said:

I'm just wondering where the hell they originate from. Or would that be when the hell?

Because Nibali's biggest opponents in the biggest races throughout the years have fallen victim to crashes or other kinds of bad luck to a quite extraordinary extent.

And now every time a rider has the hiccups, it's attributed to Nibali.

TRENDING THREADS