• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Windy Mountain

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Race Radio said:
please, take some time to look at a map and read what was actually written instead of what some obsessed troll writes.

Thanks
I did, and watched the video repeatedly. Still have it on my DVR. What I wrote is what I saw, and has nothing to do with whomever you're calling an obsessed troll this week.
 
Race Radio said:
Yes, I do think having a tailwind for the majority of the climb, and the run in to Bedoin, does effect how fresh the riders are in the last 5km. Not sure why anyone would think that it didn't.
The calculations are only about the 15.65km bit, so no matter how 'easy' they had it before that doesn't affect the calculations. It's not like it was an ITT where they were completely fresh. They had ridden more than 200km before that, so the 5km false flat that isn't a part of the calculation doesn't really matter that much.

...

Do you agree that (tail)wind has a much lesser impact when riding on a steep road, sheltered with trees and on the wheel of a dom? Do you agree that (head)wind has a much bigger impact when riding on an easier gradient, totally exposed and without any doms to hide behind? Given the first part was 60% of the climb and the second part was 40% of the climb, do you think the first part had a bigger impact than the second one?
 
Jul 21, 2012
6,664
0
0
Race Radio said:
Did look at you the site you posted? Watch any of the race?
I have looked at everything, but I dont see any evidence that backs up your 80% tailwind story. With the wind coming from the north, it just isnt possible.

Perhaps you made an error in your calculations again?
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
the sceptic said:
I have looked at everything, but I dont see any evidence that backs up your 80% tailwind story. With the wind coming from the north, it just isnt possible.

Perhaps you made an error in your calculations again?
So the wind was coming from the North now? Did you read the link you posted that had it coming from the west?

Perhaps you did not read your own links again?
 
Aug 31, 2012
5,221
0
0
The main protagonists have yet to converge on a consensus on whether Froome had private tailwind following him all the way up.
 
SeriousSam said:
The main protagonists have yet to converge on a consensus on whether Froome had private tailwind following him all the way up.
He had a motor, I think we can all agree on that. And if he's had a motor than he had probably a hi tech windmachine with him too, because why not. These cyclists would do anything.
 
Jul 21, 2012
6,664
0
0
Race Radio said:
So the wind was coming from the North now? Did you read the link you posted that had it coming from the west?

Perhaps you did not read your own links again?
To me it looks like north-west. If you would also read the posts I quoted by John Swanson he seems to think the wind came from the north that day.

So again it does appear to be difficult to get a 80% tailwind from that, unless the wind is moving in many different directions and following Froome around.
 
the sceptic said:
To me it looks like north-west. If you would also read the posts I quoted by John Swanson he seems to think the wind came from the north that day.

So again it does appear to be difficult to get a 80% tailwind from that, unless the wind is moving in many different directions and following Froome around.
Please just stop now.
 
the sceptic said:
huh? If you disagree with my post feel free to post your own view.
It's not a case of agreeing or disagreeing with your point - I honestly couldn't care less which direction the wind was coming from in a race a year ago, I certainly don't have a point of view on it.

It's just the third or fourth time you read someone making the same point to prolong an argument that is already very clearly demarcated on both sides it just gets a bit tedious.

I think yespatterns has expressed it better than me though!
 
Netserk said:
You are aware that if you don't like or don't want to discuss the topic, you are free to ignore it and not open the thread?
Yeah it's a very fair point, and I didn't articulate myself well in that last post.

I was interested in reading the discussion/topic in general terms. It's just it appeared to me to degenerating into a tomato/tomayto type discussion, which doesn't do anyone any favours. What I meant is I have no interest in making a judgement on whether the wind was coming from the West or the North, but it's pretty clear what Sceptic and Race Radio's views are, and they don't need to go on arguing the toss about it.

Anyway, I'm now probably just as guilty of another tedious discussion so I'll bow out at this point.
 
Jul 21, 2012
6,664
0
0
RownhamHill said:
Yeah it's a very fair point, and I didn't articulate myself well in that last post.

I was interested in reading the discussion/topic in general terms. It's just it appeared to me to degenerating into a tomato/tomayto type discussion, which doesn't do anyone any favours. What I meant is I have no interest in making a judgement on whether the wind was coming from the West or the North, but it's pretty clear what Sceptic and Race Radio's views are, and they don't need to go on arguing the toss about it.

Anyway, I'm now probably just as guilty of another tedious discussion so I'll bow out at this point.
It appears the wind was coming from all directions at once, leading to a 80% tailwind.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
the sceptic said:
It appears the wind was coming from all directions at once
Ahhh, this explains why with every post you change your position.

This thread needs to die. It started off as way to troll and it continues as one
 
Jul 21, 2012
6,664
0
0
Race Radio said:
Ahhh, this explains why with every post you change your position.

This thread needs to die. It started off as way to troll and it continues as one
But you seemed to agree that the wind came from the north/west? Even though earlier in the thread you wrote it came from the opposite direction.
 
Aug 13, 2009
11,354
0
0
Netserk said:
Do you honestly think Ferminal created this thread with the purpose to troll? Really? :eek: :eek:
Do you really think the various folks who intentionally twisted what I wrote were not intending to troll? Really? :eek::confused:

My point was clear. Froome's accelerations were insane, but due to the variables of the climb it was difficult to use the normal formulas to calculate output. This view is shared by multiple people who are considered experts. Pretty simple

The response to trying to add context to the discuss was a handful of dedicated trolls worked hard to twist my position, pretend I was defending Froome. Nonsense

A couple months from now someone will post a link showing a tailwind and claim it shows a headwind....hoping they can continue the nonsense. Zzzzzz
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS