• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Tour of Flanders / Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 2, 260k

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

So, who wins?

• Démare

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Lotto Soudal

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Kristoff

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Sagan

Votes: 64 42.7%
  • Degenkolb

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Van Avermaet

Votes: 33 22.0%
  • Durbridge

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Gilbert

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • Quickstep other than Gilbert

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Sagan confirmed in his interview that he tried to bridge right after the Muur but stopped when trek caught him. I did see his figure on TV chasing, but I wasn't sure.

EDIT: sorry, I now see that this was already discussed here...just the commentators I was listening to missed him...

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
3 Italians in the top 10 and 6 of them in the top 20, who would have thought that?
Say what you want about Pippo, but the guy has talent and class, I said it 2 years ago and I still think that he'd be a great superdomestique for Sagan.
A 10th place for Colbrelli is also a good result, the guy crashed into a car a few days ago and got dragged along for ten meters.
Yes, he'd look fantastic in a Bora Hansgrohe jersey! It would be really nice to see Sagan with a rider helping him later in these races.

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Mayomaniac said:
3 Italians in the top 10 and 6 of them in the top 20, who would have thought that?
Say what you want about Pippo, but the guy has talent and class, I said it 2 years ago and I still think that he'd be a great superdomestique for Sagan.
A 10th place for Colbrelli is also a good result, the guy crashed into a car a few days ago and got dragged along for ten meters.
Yes, he'd look fantastic in a Bora Hansgrohe jersey! It would be really nice to see Sagan with a rider helping him later in these races.
On the subject of Pippo, what was that whole 'coming out' tweet from a year or so ago? Did he actually come out or was it just a slightly unfunny joke?

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Those after-race "ifs" are rather useless. Too many known unknowns and unknown unknowns. I tend to say that 1 min advantage 20 km to go in this kind of race is too big buffer to overcome, if you're not Fabian. They could get closer to Gilbert, but it would be costly and I'm sure he calculated his effort. Steppers played their cards perfectly putting GVA and Sagan on the back foot and their strongest rider of the day deservedly won in a big style. Although a Sagan fan, I'm totally OK with the outcome.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Irondan said:
Mayomaniac said:
On the subject of Pippo, what was that whole 'coming out' tweet from a year or so ago? Did he actually come out or was it just a slightly unfunny joke?
That was just an unfunny joke with Ignazio Moser, but that picture has potential when it comes to AV bets. :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

wayahead said:
Those after-race "ifs" are rather useless. Too many known unknowns and unknown unknowns. I tend to say that 1 min advantage 20 km to go in this kind of race is too big buffer to overcome, if you're not Fabian. They could get closer to Gilbert, but it would be costly and I'm sure he calculated his effort. Steppers played their cards perfectly putting GVA and Sagan on the back foot and their strongest rider of the day deservedly won in a big style. Although a Sagan fan, I'm totally OK with the outcome.

An ex-pro, I forgot who it was, did tell a story that Pippo took him to a gay club to go out in Paris. I think it was a Dutch rider (who's retired by now).

El Pistolero said:
wayahead said:

An ex-pro, I forgot who it was, did tell a story that Pippo took him to a gay club to go out in Paris. I think it was a Dutch rider (who's retired by now).
Karsten Kroon

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:
The "somewhat famous cobbled" rider finished last today among those that finished the race ... his legacy is getting better and better :D

121. USA FARRAR Tyler DDD 11'31" 5

Luckily I wasn't drinking or I would have spilled my drink lol.

Re:

Billie said:
Anyone has heard any interview about what happened on the paterberg or images from spectators? Cause it's so strange, Sagan is in 5th to last position at the start and at the top he suddenly has gapped everyone

Do you mean the Taaienberg? I was wondering as well but when the helicopter shot showed Boonen standing with his bike, Sagan was on the left-hand side on the road going forwards very quickly.

But I don't know why they didn't show his attack later.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I just realized that this was Pippo's 50th Monument, that's crazy!
Boonen having a mechanical on the Boonenberg was almost poetic, when I saw that I was mad but hey, that's life.
Sagan admitted that he made a mistake, that was a mature response, props to him.
Gutted for Oliver Naesen, he seems to be a great guy.
To me Felline looked stronger than van Baarle on the Koppenberg, but the later one just managed his effort better, otherwise he'd have been there fighting for a podium spot. Still, a great effort, he's actually targeting the cobbled classics for the first time after riding a few of them as a neopro in 2009 (he finished 10th in E3 by winning the group sprint before turning 19).
I like him and he's a great guy, but Phinney crashed like a bloody amateur, what was he thinking? Let's just hope that he's ok after that crash.

I think that Sagan, GVA and Naesen would catch Gilbert. This trio would fully cooperate and they were strong.
However, crashes are part of the game. Gilbert was upfront so he did not crash. Fully deserving and impressive victory.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: 2017 Tour of Flanders / Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 2,

The article a few weeks back on cyclingnews where the trek ds were blaming the riders for missing the killer instinct ... then I watch these in car shots of the trek ds constantly laying down some idiotic tactics makes you wonder who is to blame ....

What a race. 9/10

Would've been 10/10 without the crash because the drama would've been even bigger when they would've caught Gilbert with 2-3km to go.
The crash happened though and Gilbert won the race in an most deserving way. Awesome.. just awesome. what a race.... :surprised:

Re:

Hellyea said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4wYlKSuug

Yea, looks like Sagan didn't hit any foot of the barrier. He just hit that coat and it twisted his bike. Unlucky...

Video seems inconclusive to me.
I think Boonen would've had a shot had Sagan and GVA dragged him up to Gilbert.
Epic win for Gilbert though. Roll on Roubaix.

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I think, IMHO , that making hypothesis of "what if..." especially with the Sagan crash is not fair with a man that take a 50kms solo victory, crashes are part of cycling, and hey, what if they didn't crash but Boonen was still with them, probably another great history, but we will never know and chapeu to Gilbert for actually trying, gambling and grabbing the victory.

This had been a great year of cycling and we are just in april! Can't wait for PR.

Mega win for Gilbert. Sagan's fall was a bit of a bummer, it could have made the final more interesting, but it's a race, things happen. Props to Chavanel for his top-10: the old dude knows how to race. I'm also pleased by Greipel's performance: great to see him as a non-pure-sprinter. Great ride. And I'm sorry for Boonen: I wanted him to do something. His mechanical turned out to slow Demare down, and he never caught up. Too bad Arnaud, but when I saw him asleep in the back, was fuming: big mistake.

A great race: what a year so far!

So cruel: three riders for two spots on the podium...

Minutes after the race, I left the couch and went to ride my bike: I was pumped-up. Cycling IS the greatest sport of all.