• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 942 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

sniper said:
ontheroad said:
sniper said:
when Bardet went, Froome couldn't respond until his hands had gone onto the hoods.

Noticed the high velocity cadence by Froome when Bardet attacked, never noticed the hand movement.
Go to 14:10.
Bardet jumps, Froome then with the hands to the hoods, high cadence and idiotic stem watching (includes a nice slo-mo):
http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/29980

Suspicious, but could be explained by the fact that its easier to get the power down when leaning slightly further forward, as dropping onto the hoods would do

Re:

sniper said:
LeMond expressed doubts about Froome's high-cadence attacking style in the L'Équipe interview. "He turned his legs at a high speed, but it's not effective and contrary to all physiological laws," LeMond is reported as saying, also dismissing the idea of Team Sky's marginal gains philosophy. "You can't get a gap on small gears," LeMond argued.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greg-lemond-miracles-in-cycling-still-dont-exist/

Even more inefficient to climb out of the saddle the whole time, as some riders do. Everyone has a different way of putting the power down

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

jilbiker said:
sniper said:
LeMond expressed doubts about Froome's high-cadence attacking style in the L'Équipe interview. "He turned his legs at a high speed, but it's not effective and contrary to all physiological laws," LeMond is reported as saying, also dismissing the idea of Team Sky's marginal gains philosophy. "You can't get a gap on small gears," LeMond argued.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greg-lemond-miracles-in-cycling-still-dont-exist/
Totally agree, how are you able to generate that amount of power on these small gears?

Simply pedalling faster.

Power = torque applied to the pedal × angular velocity of the pedal.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
sniper said:

Even more inefficient to climb out of the saddle the whole time, as some riders do. Everyone has a different way of putting the power down
But there are trends. Froome bucks all trends.
I'm going to go with Lemond here.
Does Lemond have an anti-Froome agenda? Not that I know of.
He's simply talking common sense here.

sniper said:
PremierAndrew said:
sniper said:

But there are trends. Froome bucks all trends.
I'm going to go with Lemond here.
Does Lemond have an anti-Froome agenda? Not that I know of.
He's simply talking common sense here.

His high cadence style definitely lends itself to a motor, but then equally he could just go to a higher gear before turning the motor on and look normal.

As I said everyone has a different style. I, for example, produce an extra average 20W per hour if I simply look down at my pedals while im cycling instead of looking at the road in front of me

Re:

hrotha said:
The Tour-Vuelta double is obviously a very different matter. The Vuelta is a much easier race and it comes later in the season when the vast majority of contenders aren't fresh anyway.

What I've never got my head around is how the giro tour double was fairly often attempted (with a few successes) back before the calendar was shifted about in the mid 90s increasing the recovery time (e.g. 1987 giro ended 13th June with the tour starting on 1st July)

Off the top of my head Indurain, Roche, Pantani, Hinault(?) all managed it and Fignon was very close twice.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

MartinGT said:
Barry Hoban was asked if people can still do the Giro Tour double. He said no due to the recovery time between the races.

I wonder what he would say if the Dawg took the Vuelta after taking Le Tour.

Kimmage tweeted ITV to ask Barry why 50 years afters Simpsons death the sport has done nothing about doping?

They said they would ask, but of course didn't.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

MartinGT said:
Barry Hoban was asked if people can still do the Giro Tour double. He said no due to the recovery time between the races.

I wonder what he would say if the Dawg took the Vuelta after taking Le Tour.
With a good program and state of the art bike tech? Of course it's possible.
It's not about whether it's possible though.
It's about whether the UCI/ASO/AICGP/Velon want it to happen. If they say no, it means no. But maybe someday they'll say yes. E.g. when Sagan signs for Dimension Data, turns into a GC rider, and says he's gonna give the double a try. Weirder things have happened in procycling.

Re:

Merckx index said:
Haven't heard this pointed out before: if Froome wins this Tour, as seems likely, he will be the first rider in history to win the Tour three times at age 30 or older. Indurain is the only other rider to do it even twice. LA did it four times before he was stripped.

Only five other riders have won the Tour three times. Bit of a pointless stat

PremierAndrew said:

Seven others have won it three or more times, and twenty have won it twice or more. Yet only two have won it twice at age 30 or older.

Since you don't get the point, I'll be clearer. Until recently, it was not possible for even the greatest riders to perform consistently well past 30.

Merckx index said:
PremierAndrew said:

Seven others have won it three or more times, and twenty have won it twice or more. Yet only two have won it twice at age 30 or older.

Since you don't get the point, I'll be clearer. Until recently, it was not possible for even the greatest riders to perform consistently well past 30.

It's the same with Tennis, or for that matter any sport. Winners are getting older, which, at least for me, is a clear sign, that we are far away from clean competitions. After 30 male androgen levels start to drop, thats a fact.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

ppanther92 said:
Merckx index said:
PremierAndrew said:

It's the same with Tennis, or for that matter any sport. Winners are getting older, which, at least for me, is a clear sign, that we are far away from clean competitions. After 30 male androgen levels start to drop, thats a fact.

DOB 1915. Last first division game 1965

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Matthews

May 26, 2010
Visit site

adamfo said:
ppanther92 said:
Merckx index said:
PremierAndrew said:

DOB 1915. Last first division game 1965

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Matthews

Not sure Matthews is a great comparison. Yes he played football, 90 mins for a long time. But hell a lot of footballers were chainsmokers and their fitness levels were in no way compatible to cyclists of the time!

What age did Merckx, Coppi, Anquetil etc retire at, even he likes of Hinault.

Doping is what is giving people longevity in the modern era. To think otherwise is just blindness.

Re:

Merckx index said:
Haven't heard this pointed out before: if Froome wins this Tour, as seems likely, he will be the first rider in history to win the Tour three times at age 30 or older. Indurain is the only other rider to do it even twice. LA did it four times before he was stripped.
The likes of Merckx, Hinault and LeMond (pre-shooting) used to ride a lot more races - generally two Grand Tours and all the classics & Worlds. Merckx even rode track in the winter. Have a look at the race programs they used to do - they're insane compared to today. They just burnt out. Merckx barely won a race past his 30th birthday, Hinault quit on his 32nd.

Latest posts