• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Race Radio said:
JV, and many members of his team, will be the target of Armstrong's media machine for the next several months. In the past those kind of smear campaigns worked but this time I think there such a critical mass of riders that it will be much harder to work

That's where Armstrong lives, in the past. He's still living in 1999. In the end, he probably just only cares more about destroying others, than if the tactic will work.

Microchip said:
That's where Armstrong lives, in the past. He's still living in 1999. In the end, he probably just only cares more about destroying others, than if the tactic will work.

Maybe he should just call his father up and sort it that way?

The apple didn't fall far from the tree and maybe he's more like him that he'd like to admit.

Peace to Lance. I home he finds via USADA what he's looking for.

Race Radio said:
JV, and many members of his team, will be the target of Armstrong's media machine for the next several months. In the past those kind of smear campaigns worked but this time I think there such a critical mass of riders that it will be much harder to work

If JV gave a detailed explanation to a respected media outlet of how the doping program at Postal developed and Armstrong's role in it then Armstrong's ability to damage other people would be seriously reduced. Armstrong would become toxic to most politicians and a lot of other people he might enlist to help him. JV and his team members have the tools to bury Armstrong if they are willing to sack up and say something. Instead they allow Armstrong to smear those in weak positions, like Landis and Hamilton.

JV looks like he hopes everything blows over and if it does not then he hopes to minimize his participation.

BroDeal said:
If JV gave a detailed explanation to a respected media outlet of how the doping program at Postal developed and Armstrong's role in it then Armstrong's ability to damage other people would be seriously reduced. Armstrong would become toxic to most politicians and a lot of other people he might enlist to help him. JV and his team members have the tools to bury Armstrong if they are willing to sack up and say something. Instead they allow Armstrong to smear those in weak positions, like Landis and Hamilton.

JV looks like he hopes everything blows over and if it does not then he hopes to minimize his participation.

No he knows what's brewing and the kettle is about to blow.

Not long now.

He can hardly talk now. He'll do so after the hearing.

thehog said:
No he knows what's brewing and the kettle is about to blow.

Not long now.

He can hardly talk now. He'll do so after the hearing.

If Armstrong can get the UCI to protect him then JV will be happy saying nothing. Maybe he will get drunk occasionally, feel a bit guilty, and tweet like a little girl, 'I know a secret. I know a secret." The next day he will be back to the sausage making business.

I don't know who I trust less, JV or the UCI. I guess JV comes out a bit better because he sometimes shows a guilty conscience.

Whilst I don't like it, I understand the reason behind JV being cryptic. Far better to be silent now, and vocal when the appropriate time comes. Speaking up now only gives Armstrong information on what might be said in specific terms. Better to wait until afterward.
Might not be transparent now, but the time will come.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I tend to think JV is a small fish in this proces. He did ride a full year with the big boss.

Nope.

The actions of JV and his riders will be critical for this to succeed. It took a few years but he went through the official channels and the end result will be a lifetime sanction, titles striped and a bunch of toxic people out of the sport.

Years ago JV wrote this. It is still true today.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/56420890/Drugs-Vaughters

Why does a rider walk away when he can still finish in the top 10 of major races clean? You can't imagine how frustrating it is to work your *** off and not win. I know plenty of riders who walked from the sport for the same reason

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
new champions who do it clean, need to come in, and sweep out the docs, the trainers, and the riders who do take the hypodermic, then go into management, and be a DS. Need clean riders to come into management of the teams and at UCI hq in Switzerland.

I dont think it can be done unfortunately.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Nope.

The actions of JV and his riders will be critical for this to succeed. It took a few years but he went through the official channels and the end result will be a lifetime sanction, titles striped and a bunch of toxic people out of the sport.

Why does a rider walk away when he can still finish in the top 10 of major races clean? You can't imagine how frustrating it is to work your *** off and not win. I know plenty of riders who walked from the sport for the same reason
So you think Vaughters is a big man behind the curtains?

I also know a lot of riders on the European scene who didn't want their blood tainted with chemicals but don't speak out like Vaughters. Would be nice if they formed a 'Board of Justice' to reclaim what would have been rightfully theirs if it wasn't for the likes of Conconi; the real guilty ones.

Or is doping just [some] human nature? Survival of the 'fittest'? Would like to read from Bauer/Hampsten, those kinda guys I have always somehow trusted.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Just posted:

Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters

@jeffvolkmer @DanielSchneider @chewbaccad Im feeling like a bit of martyrdom myself. Let's see what I can cook up.

In reference to a loose discussion of the USADA and UCI.

ChewbaccaD said:
Just posted:

Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters

@jeffvolkmer @DanielSchneider @chewbaccad Im feeling like a bit of martyrdom myself. Let's see what I can cook up.

In reference to a loose discussion of the USADA and UCI.

The UCI is angling to get info from the USADA about the witnesses so the UCI can impose its own doping suspensions or sanctions, even if it only to tar the witnesses before they testify against Armstrong.

JV cannot be sanctioned. Everything happened more than a decade ago. He should step up and take the heat in lieu of his riders.

Say something, JV.

BroDeal said:
The UCI is angling to get info from the USADA about the witnesses so the UCI can impose its own doping suspensions or sanctions, even if it only to tar the witnesses before they testify against Armstrong.

JV cannot be sanctioned. Everything happened more than a decade ago. He should step up and take the heat in lieu of his riders.

Say something, JV.

He's about to.... thank god. The rot has to stop.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Relax, kiddos. I am certain any action(or lack of) I take won't be met with approval from this group.

As I've said in statements galore over the past 2 yrs: Any and all questions from anti-doping authorities will be answered honestly. Period.

Not a whole lot more to be said.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Nope.

Thanks for bringing that out again. JV did a great job of painting the picture in that article.

Back to the coal mines for me...

May 27, 2012
Visit site
JV1973 said:
Relax, kiddos. I am certain any action(or lack of) I take won't be met with approval from this group.

As I've said in statements galore over the past 2 yrs: Any and all questions from anti-doping authorities will be answered honestly. Period.

Not a whole lot more to be said.

And here I was trying on prom dresses and sh*t...:eek: