• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is not really about Carapaz, as he was supposed to go the Giro, still: I think Ineos did get their timing wrong by about a week. I think they planned their peak for the third week again, heavily, but they just weren't at the level where they had to be at the start. They probably saw this with Thomas at the Dauphiné, panicked, and chose Carapaz, who was not at his peak either, but was still a better bet at that point.
Now Kwiatkowski and Carapaz look a lot better, so does Thomas. Sivakov was bad luck, Bernal maybe had those back pains in addition to not being ready at the start, therefor having to exhaust himself before he even got to the third week.
That's my theory.

About Carapaz' abilities:
I always find it hard to say "xy is a better climber than ab" because that would mean that there is a "real" level that we just have to find the signs for.
I look at this more like "xy is as good as he is in race 1 and was as good as he was in race 2". There is no other "real" level to me, only potential and non-potential. But every rider has his specialties, climbs, rhythms and temperatures that he prefers and then he's in a certain form in certain years at certain races. I don't want to quote Ernesto Valverde, but... "It is what it is."
At best we can try to find the ceiling that we think a rider has.
He's a great rider with potential to win more. Enough potential to be a leader at Ineos. What this will come to we will see.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ricky should lead the Empire TDF team next year no doubt. He showed it the last 3 days.

For me he is a lot better than Bernal. Better GT rider. Better climber. Better track record.

I don't know about that. Bernal in form is a very good rider. Is Carapaz better? In some areas maybe but unless you have them go head to head your never going to be able to be certain.

"... and then Froome can have the Vuelta"

The plans have changed.

Ricky instantly became one of the favorites. Lots of hard MTFs where he can shine
"Ricky if you gift stage Froomey will get you bottles in Vuelta"

But really if he's a favorite for the Vuelta it's more by process of elimination (who else) than anything else IMO. He's done the Vuelta after Giro before and not really done much, and his level right now is just impossible to gauge compared to GC riders. Like what's the standard for how much a breakaway climber loses to the GC riders on a climb when he could've been in the GC instead? I think Majka lost like 2 minutes or under on a 30 minute climb some years?

• Wow
Yeah that’s roughly what I was thinking.

Carapaz can probably lose 11-12 minutes on the flat as long as he is fast up the climb.
It's kind of pointless to risk that much IMO. Just do like 5W/kg on the flat it shouldn't affect your climb at all.

The real question is what W/kg can he put out for 17-18 minutes that Pogacar and the rest can as the high end of a 55 minute effort. I think it's gonna be quite close honestly.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and topt
It's kind of pointless to risk that much IMO. Just do like 5W/kg on the flat it shouldn't affect your climb at all.

The real question is what W/kg can he put out for 17-18 minutes that Pogacar and the rest can as the high end of a 55 minute effort. I think it's gonna be quite close honestly.

I agree I think it will be very close.

I guess Ineos will have the numbers that should give him the best chance on the climb.

I agree I think it will be very close.

I guess Ineos will have the numbers that should give him the best chance on the climb.
The guy needs to do a warmup anyway.

Anyway I think Plateau de Glieres came down to 5.6-5.7ish W/kg from Kwiat and Carapaz yesterday while the GC guys did more like 6.4 roughly for 21 minutes.

At the altitudes we'll see in the ITT, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pog and Roglic put out 6W/kg average for the entire ITT, with maybe something like 5.9 for the first 40 minutes and then 6.2-6.3 for the climb or something. 6.2 for 17 minutes is pretty fast but nothing crazy compared to what we've seen this Tour and if we're gonna claim Carapaz is a Vuelta favorite he should do that easily.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS