• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 169 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good to know: Matxin said a couple of days ago that Pogacar wasn't going at full speed this Giro. Isn't that a relief. I immediately saw it on Saturday when he barely took 2 minutes on 6 km of climbing.

Regarding whether he is going to slow down ahead of participation in the Tour de France in July, Matxin acknowledged that the cyclist is not going at full speed now: “Pogacar is slowing down. We started with a plan and we are sticking to it.
https://www.cope.es/programas/el-pa...o-cope-pogacar-campeon-lider-20240522_3309380

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Good to know: Matxin said a couple of days ago that Pogacar wasn't going at full speed this Giro. Isn't that a relief. I immediately saw it on Saturday when he barely took 2 minutes on 6 km of climbing.

Regarding whether he is going to slow down ahead of participation in the Tour de France in July, Matxin acknowledged that the cyclist is not going at full speed now: “Pogacar is slowing down. We started with a plan and we are sticking to it.
https://www.cope.es/programas/el-pa...o-cope-pogacar-campeon-lider-20240522_3309380
UAE have quite a history of always talking up.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I already said i will say it again, the team behind Pogacar did a good job for this season especially outside the bike and how he should be behave.

The propaganda around him is running wild on social media. Good job. The mentors of Ricardo ricco, matxin and gianneti, are working well in everything.

Creating an image that’s impossible to bring down. Would be interesting to see how the saga would go if he started getting accusations or even flat out positive tests. He has none of the hate Armstrong had. It would be seen as a witch hunt.

Creating an image that’s impossible to bring down. Would be interesting to see how the saga would go if he started getting accusations or even flat out positive tests. He has none of the hate Armstrong had. It would be seen as a witch hunt.
It has a lot due to his behavior inside and outside of cycling, always with jokes, smilings, always joking and having fun plus the things in social media. Like i said, he have a good team in terms of marketing, doing a lot of propaganda and making him have a good image.

That's one of the reasons i don't like him, because i don't feel everything is natural on his behaviour and in what they do with him. There's also a lot of propaganda. Look how this BS of him always being in Z2 and always training in races, is running wild everywhere. They are really doing a good job in terms of social media, especially do create a good image of him, to not be asked or getting accusations.

Like i said, that's why i don't like him and never liked, because annoys me a lot that behaviour by him, around him, and the image they try to sell about him.

I prefer a rider with a low profile, who doesn't to be in the spotlight.

Even so, i can't deny it, Pogacar is a great rider, i don't question anything about that.

Last edited:
It has a lot due to his behavior inside and outside of cycling, always with jokes, smilings, always joking and having fun plus the things in social media. Like i said, he have a good team in terms of marketing, doing a lot of propaganda and making him have a good image.

That's one of the reasons i don't like him, because i don't feel everything is natural on his behaviour and in what they do with him. There's also a lot of propaganda. Look how this BS of him always being in Z2 and always training in races, is running wild everywhere. They are really doing a good job in terms of social media, especially do create a good image of him, to not be asked or getting accusations.

Like i said, that's why i don't like him and never liked, because annoys me a lot that behaviour by him, around him, and the image they try to sell about him.

I prefer a rider with a low profile, who doesn't to be in the spotlight.

Even so, i can't deny it, Pogacar is a great rider, i don't question anything about that.
I don't feel it's fake, it's just an extremely superficial reason to hype someone.

Of course, the reason you ride by far the fastest Roubaix in a 60km solo is because no one is riding behind you
There was a massive tailwind (never experienced in the last 20 years I've been following the race and sticking my nose out in the wind riding my bike close to the parcours) and the first half of the parcours the biggest gains in terms of average were made. From Arenberg on, it wasn't exactly that much faster than some other editions, even with that massive tailwind.

Ofcourse the average is a (soft) indicator of performance, but in this case, other factors play a bigger role. I reckon every rider in the top 10 broke the fastest Roubaix record that day.

There was a massive tailwind (never experienced in the last 20 years I've been following the race and sticking my nose out in the wind riding my bike close to the parcours) and the first half of the parcours the biggest gains in terms of average were made. From Arenberg on, it wasn't exactly that much faster than some other editions, even with that massive tailwind.

Ofcourse the average is a (soft) indicator of performance, but in this case, other factors play a bigger role. I reckon every rider in the top 10 broke the fastest Roubaix record that day.
The Top 27 actually broke The Roubaix record (from last year) if my calculations are correct.

There is no such thing. Ullrich had a demigod-like status in Germany for almost a decade (the country's most popular athlete ever, according to some polls, which may have suffered from recency bias) and look how that ended. And, not unlike Pogacar, a good deal of his popularity was related to his personality. He also had none of the hate Armstrong had. There was a small subset of cycling fans who disliked him and the hype around him, but you wouldn't have known it if you hadn't gone to places like this one.

Pog is tik tok amrstrong is crazy nonsense.bahhha,these two couldnot be more apart as individuals.one was crazy as fuk,other is too nice for his own good.Next year vuelta and giro will fight to deat,who can offer more to pog.He makes race as popular as tour,otherwise nobody watches.

Pog is tik tok amrstrong is crazy nonsense.bahhha,these two couldnot be more apart as individuals.one was crazy as fuk,other is too nice for his own good.Next year vuelta and giro will fight to deat,who can offer more to pog.He makes race as popular as tour,otherwise nobody watches.

Hate him or not, Armstrong had a way bigger impact on viewership than Pogacar or any rider ever has. I’m not one for heroes personally, Pog is a more entertaining rider but even nice guys make their own trips to the dark end of the street.

i dont hate lance,just stating the obvious.one was sociopath,who was universally hated among peleton,other is maniac,who other cyclist cry,if he gives them sunglasses or ***.if pog is fake,than what was lance.this two are not comparable as humans or cyclists.

I don‘t know if this is exactly the right or the wrong place to call out Benji as Bruyneel but he makes absolutely no points here when there probably are plenty so it‘s kinda stupid.
The overarching point is Benji is a holier-than-thou social media grifter willfully ignorant of the basic foundation of how elite sport works. Either he’s stupid or deliberately misleading his “fans” to believe fairy tales exist.

No need to make unfounded accusations on riders like Pogacar, but rather flamboyantly waving the “clean” flag is downright insulting to the audience. Especially considering the stuff Merckx used is nothing compared to what riders are using nowadays.