• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"And so Plugge has to find another way to fill the budget, which is estimated at around 60 million euros."

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
"And so Plugge has to find another way to fill the budget, which is estimated at around 60 million euros."

I don't know what that amount is based on, but you have to keep in mind that this is the Wielerflits podcast, which struggles to find any listeners and needs every kind of clickbait to gain attention. They say that Jumbo really can't use a doping case right now because of their sponsor search. No sh.t, Sherlock.

The amount that Jumbo paid to the team is known, and it is 12 million euros annually. That's for a combined team with a speedskating division, a women's cycling team, a development team, and a men's pro team. So that's 10 million euros for the men's pro team at best. And that's the main sponsor.

I don't know what that amount is based on, but you have to keep in mind that this is the Wielerflits podcast, which struggles to find any listeners and needs every kind of clickbait to gain attention. They say that Jumbo really can't use a doping case right now because of their sponsor search. No sh.t, Sherlock.

The amount that Jumbo paid to the team is known, and it is 12 million euros annually. That's for a combined team with a speedskating division, a women's cycling team, a development team, and a men's pro team. So that's 10 million euros for the men's pro team at best. And that's the main sponsor.
Either way their budget is probably higher than €25 million that is always quoted.

No reason to assume that. If the main sponsor contributes 10 million, 25 million in total seems about right. I can't be bothered to listen to this podcast but I suppose it's an amount over multiple years... or a typo.

There is just no way you seriously think Jumbo Visma's budget is still only 25 million

"no reason to assume that". Dude, just look at their team, and the amount of money they put in their "performance" stuff. And no I don't believe the Lefevere/Plugge fairy tale that every single big talent just loves to ride for their teams that they almost do it for free.

I don't think it's much higher, no. Otherwise they wouldn't have to get these questionable sponsors on board like Gorillas, Betcity, and some crypto company I can't remember the name of. To me that reeks of desperation, not of having a huge budget.

It reeks of wanting even more budget, cause UAE still has more (unlimited). Everyone always wants more money.

Well, then another example for you: if you have so much money to spend, why do only a few riders on your team get the fancy tailor made TT bars, and the others just get the standard ones? Money is the only possible explanation, because they're quite expensive.

I literally said they want even more money. Unlike UAE their budget isn't unlimited. There's better ways to spend your money than custom TT bars for every single rider.
Doesn't mean that 25million isn't a complete joke.

You must really underestimate the budget of all WT teams if you think JV only has 25 million.

• Wow
I literally said they want even more money. Unlike UAE their budget isn't unlimited. There's better ways to spend you money than custom TT bars for every single rider.

You must really underestimate the budget of all WT teams if you think JV only has 25 million.
Of course they want more money. But there's no need to strike a deal with a nearly defunct home delivery company which can't follow up on the deal, if you aren't desperate.

I literally said they want even more money. Unlike UAE their budget isn't unlimited. There's better ways to spend your money than custom TT bars for every single rider.

Regardless, it's still a little bit sad to be reminded what a dinky sport (outside of the Tour) cycling really is. Let's be generous and say Jumbo was operating with $40 million a year; that's about enough to buy the ink for all the zeroes on some footballer transfers, and Max Verstappen alone is reportedly on $55 million USD salary this year. Crazy.

Regardless, it's still a little bit sad to be reminded what a dinky sport (outside of the Tour) cycling really is. Let's be generous and say Jumbo was operating with $40 million a year; that's about enough to buy the ink for all the zeroes on some footballer transfers, and Max Verstappen alone is reportedly on $55 million USD salary this year. Crazy.
It is, and other other than the Gulf states there are not many really big corporations investing in cycling.
The current biggest two, United Healthcare are reducing investment and Novo Nordisk only support a second division team.

It is, and other other than the Gulf states there are not many really big corporations investing in cycling.
The current biggest two, United Healthcare are reducing investment and Novo Nordisk only support a second division team.
They also support a third division team, but it would of course be quite hard for them to ever reach WT level with only diabetic riders.

Ouch!

llj5o2vu.webp

I don't think there's been a GT in history that team couldn't win. Anything less than an easy win would be a disaster. Only way to beat them, outside of Remco going ham, is for other teams to collaborate - and we know how well that works...

I don't think it'll be so simple, i.e. because there's a real possibility the entente between Vingegaard & Rog isn't quite as smooth as some people imagine.

I think it's going to be a fun race for neutral fans.

Lol, anything else than an easy win? Lets not underestimate the competition here. I don't think they could give a rats ass if they just win, and if anything, a hard fought battle is usually more rewarding.

Two aces and a great team to support them. Team as expected, no surprises.
Doesn't need to be easy, but if you bring Roglic and Vingegaard to a Grand Tour and Pogacar isn't even there, you're not gonna go home happy without the win.

With regards to budget - FDJ have 20 million Euros
https://inrng.com/2023/08/groupama-fdj-finances-2021/

Did not understand why Jumbo planned to have Vingegaard doing the Vuelta (this must have been planned in the Spring) then I wondered if it has anything to do with getting a big sponsor - "look! We win every race we enter!" 3 GT's in one year is a good selling point.
I can think of three reasons for Jonas riding the Vuelta: 1. Jumbo wants to win all three grand tours in the same calendar year. I don't think any team has done this before. Having their top GC men in the Vuelta significantly improves the odds. 2. Jumbo wants to win the UCI team ranking at the end of the year (UAE is currently in first place). 3. Jonas may want to win three consecutive grand tours, TDF, Vuelta, then Giro. If Jonas does this, Jumbo might then make Primoz the leader for next year's Tour. This third reason is total wild-ass speculation on my part.