• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jai Hindley thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Hindley win the Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
Still fighting massive back pain according to Politt.

This Tour will go down kinda as a big "what if" for him. Obviously no chance of winning but I feel we never got to see what his actual level was. I think he was really strong in the Pyrenees but on stage 5 he was "only" racing against the breakaway (although a strong one given what Gall was doing today) and on stage 6 he was caught up in a terrible situation on the road because he couldn't follow the two aliens but also couldn't afford to hang in no mans land between WVA and Ineos/UAE pacing after Tourmalet so rightfully dropped back and still was the strongest of the chasers on Cauterets (quicker than Vingegaard there).
Puy de Dome and Colombiere were the Unipuerto kinda stages which I don't think really suit him although he was surprisingly good on Colombiere.

And then he crashes with the worst possible timing, at the beginning of 4 GC days in a row. And even today, he was additionally disadvantaged (as weird as that sounds) by being in the Vingegaard group throughout the stage and not the breakaway who were riding a much more steady pace and actually slower on the climbs unlike Jumbo who deliberately nuked the climbs but eased up on the flat.

Yeah with Pogi totally burning out today it's really a what if - everything was prepared for this Tour and now he and the team have not much to show for in the end. I think still - this tour helped his case for being a leader at Bora in 24 for Giro or Tour. On the other hand it's the second disappointment for the team after Vlasov leaving the Giro sick. They prepared for those two races and had little results anywhere else in the spring. Maybe something to think about going forward.

Yeah with Pogi totally burning out today it's really a what if - everything was prepared for this Tour and now he and the team have not much to show for in the end. I think still - this tour helped his case for being a leader at Bora in 24 for Giro or Tour. On the other hand it's the second disappointment for the team after Vlasov leaving the Giro sick. They prepared for those two races and had little results anywhere else in the spring. Maybe something to think about going forward.

Last year Vlasov finished 5th but it was more of a Zubeldia-like performance. Outside of a sneaky good GC result the only relevant story for Bora was Kämna missing out on yellow.
Would argue that even though Hindley won´t reach the top 5 a stage win + day in yellow is more important for Bora.
Hindley has proven that he can compete with anyone not named Vingegaard or Pogacar (+maybe Roglic). Question is which GTs he is going to target in the next years. Return to the Tour and chase the podium with no realistic chance to win. Or target the Giro/Vuelta and take advantage of a weaker field.

Depending on the TT content for each grand tour, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hindley maybe try the Giro/Vuelta before another attempt at the Tour. Roglic will probably do the Tour after winning the Giro especially if he changes teams. Hindley said pre Tour that the one short TT was his big attraction in riding the Tour. Maybe Bernal and the Yates brothers might also do the Giro next season. Remco will probably choose the better TT race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Time to resurrect this thread.

Interested to know what the Forum thinks of Hindley's chances with Roglic moved into the team? I think he could be an X factor, a bit like CSC-Saxo Bank when they won the Tour with Sastra when everyone was looking at Andy and Frank. But that would take some luck and Pogacar and Vingegaard are on another planet not yet explored by Jai - maybe now even his own teammate?

When Hindley won the Giro it was impressive - easily beating Carapaz and Landa (Carapaz beat Roglic in 2019 Giro). But Hindley will need to improve on that level. Can he? and if he can, is that enough?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Time to resurrect this thread.

Interested to know what the Forum thinks of Hindley's chances with Roglic moved into the team? I think he could be an X factor, a bit like CSC-Saxo Bank when they won the Tour with Sastra when everyone was looking at Andy and Frank. But that would take some luck and Pogacar and Vingegaard are on another planet not yet explored by Jai - maybe now even his own teammate?

When Hindley won the Giro it was impressive - easily beating Carapaz and Landa (Carapaz beat Roglic in 2019 Giro). But Hindley will need to improve on that level. Can he? and if he can, is that enough?
I'd list him as a protected rider and see how the race goes. Another opi-omi moment and everything changes. He'd probably be competitive with Roglic if they were on different teams so it's a bit of a dilemma for Bora. I think he might be just below Roglic's top level, but then again I think he's still got headroom to improve, while we may have already seen peak Roglic. So I'm not totally sure what we'll see from both of them.
Should be at the Giro - Why would you waste your teams 2nd best GC rider as a domestic at the tour is mind-blowing. Will be at another team in 2025.
He should be at the Tour but not as a domestique. See my argument above.

Didn't he say that last years Tour was a lot of stress to him? Perhaps he can mentally relax a bit in the A. Yates 2023 role. He won't loose time on purpose.
I think UAE and Bora won't make tempo in next years Tour. They will probably attack a lot or follow. Making a hard pace all day long is Visma Labs part. I don't think that the second tier GC riders of UAE or Bora will be sacrificed.

Hindley is one of the toughest to put in pecking order (maybe like Hart before his giro crash). He should be one of the top dogs in the group below jonas, pogacar, roglic, (remco), but it would not be totally surprising if he climbs even better then the last two - otoh one or some out of ayuso, thomas, yates, kuss, rodriguez might well turn out to be stronger than him.
However, protected role/second leader seems the reasonable approach for tdf.

I'd list him as a protected rider and see how the race goes. Another opi-omi moment and everything changes. He'd probably be competitive with Roglic if they were on different teams so it's a bit of a dilemma for Bora. I think he might be just below Roglic's top level, but then again I think he's still got headroom to improve, while we may have already seen peak Roglic. So I'm not totally sure what we'll see from both of them.

He should be at the Tour but not as a domestique. See my argument above.

Hindley is the second best GC rider in the current Bora line-up. For example, Roglic was the second best GC ride at Jumbo in 2023, so he was sent to the Giro to effectively spread the resources - Hindley at the TDF will not be the difference between Roglic winning or losing the TDF.

Reactions: Peter von
In 2024 season i feel that Bora will send best of the best to the Tour. Not being in that selection is in my opinion not something to desire. On top of that this are men already, not boys. So they in my opinion should be able to cope with it. To learn something new and to go after the Tour title with Rogla.

Latest posts