• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The pedaling technique thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Basic physics / biomechanics

backdoor said:
sciguy said:
CoachFergie said:
backdoor said:

I asked for evidence Noel. A video is evidence of nothing.

Well it's evidence that Jacque had really great hair and was somewhat of a toe pointer;)
In regards to how he was applying power .............well not so much.

Hugh

Yes much better hair than I ever had and as regards the power application it reveals absolutely nothing, that's what made it so valuable throughout all his TT years. I discovered this powerful technique about three years before a video of his pedalling first appeared on PC's in 2001 and as soon as I saw it I knew I had the answer to his mysterious extra power in time trials. As I asked you before, can you tell from this video where he is starting his power stroke.

You can't tell anything about his pedalling or power output. The video is a nice historical look at a cyclist, not evidence of a perfect pedalling technique.

Re: Re:

CoachFergie said:
backdoor said:
CoachFergie said:
That was the summary statement to the Gimmickcranks debate. The solution to a problem that never existed.

If Berend, yourself and all other experts are incapable of realizing that the (11-1) idling dead spot sector is a problem in pedalling, a serious problem that can be completely eliminated, how can they know what other problems do or do not exist in pedalling.

If the problem existed it could be easily measured and if a better method was available this could be easily measured.

Present data rather than your opinion!

So I am correct, until someone measures it and presents data, you and Berend will continue to believe that the dead spot sector does not reduce power output from each pedal stroke.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

backdoor said:
CoachFergie said:
backdoor said:
CoachFergie said:
That was the summary statement to the Gimmickcranks debate. The solution to a problem that never existed.

If Berend, yourself and all other experts are incapable of realizing that the (11-1) idling dead spot sector is a problem in pedalling, a serious problem that can be completely eliminated, how can they know what other problems do or do not exist in pedalling.

If the problem existed it could be easily measured and if a better method was available this could be easily measured.

So I am correct, until someone measures it and presents data, you and Berend will continue to believe that the dead spot sector does not reduce power output from each pedal stroke.

Now you're putting words in my mouth.

I believe that modifying your pedal stroke to be more circular does not increase the power you can maintain for a specified time interval. It may actually reduce your sustained power.

I believe that this is true for any interval longer than 5 seconds.

I do believe that the dead spot temporarily reduces your power output to zero (or near zero), and that if you measure sub-second intervals your power is reduced. No one cares about sub-second intervals.

I hope I've been specific enough.

berend said:
backdoor said:
CoachFergie said:
backdoor said:
CoachFergie said:

I do believe that the dead spot temporarily reduces your power output to zero (or near zero), and that if you measure sub-second intervals your power is reduced. No one cares about sub-second intervals.

And what about the almost idling of the legs as the cranks move from 11-1 and 5-7

backdoor said:
Nothing more than basic secondary education, no professional background.

Thanks for being so honest. I suspect that your educational background is really at the heart of the debate/disconnect throughout this topic.
Several of those of us who are arguing with you have advanced degrees. While that may sound pretentious I'm not saying we have superior knowledge just because of letters behind our name. However, with advanced training comes an understanding of what we do know and what we don't know. Your posts suggest that you don't understand the difference between what you "know" and what you believe. We are presenting research based facts and you responding with your beliefs. Kinda like an atheist arguing with a religious person; the debate goes nowhere.
I get it now.

PhitBoy said:

And that's as far as it goes, because pedalling technique cannot be improved if you don't know what your objectives are. This is not helped by the fact that physiologists do not know what their muscles are capable of doing.

PhitBoy said:
backdoor said:
physiologists do not know what the bodies muscles are capable of doing.

How would you know what physiologists do or don't know?

Physiologist A. Coggan claimed some years back on a cycling forum while this same topic was being discussed that it was not possible for human muscles to apply maximal torque to the crank at TDC while the rider was in the seated racing drops position. He is wrong, it is possible.

backdoor said:
Physiologist A. Coggan claimed some years back on a cycling forum while this same topic was being discussed that it was not possible for human muscles to apply maximal torque to the crank at TDC while the rider was in the seated racing drops position. He is wrong, it is possible.
----------------------------------
Are you claiming that an equal (or greater) amount of power can be produced in the TDC sector (11-1 o'clock), as can be produced in the 1-3 or 2-4 sector?
And, do you think that same amount of power can be produced in other sectors?

Or are you saying that there's a technique that 'will produce' the amount of power at TDC that theoretically 'can be' produced in that sector? i.e. 'maximal' for that sector, but perhaps not equal/more than produced in other sectors.

When you use the term 'maximal torque' it seems to imply an amount of torque that is equal to the maximum torque that is produced an ANY sector of crank rotation.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

JayKosta said:
backdoor said:
Are you claiming that an equal (or greater) amount of power can be produced in the TDC sector (11-1 o'clock), as can be produced in the 1-3 or 2-4 sector?

Or are you saying that there's a technique that 'will produce' the amount of power at TDC that theoretically 'can be' produced in that sector? i.e. 'maximal' for that sector, but perhaps not equal/more than produced in other sectors.

When you use the term 'maximal torque' it seems to imply an amount of torque that is equal to the maximum torque that is produced an ANY sector of crank rotation.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Greater torque can be applied between 11-1 than what can be applied by natural pedalling between 2-4.
By maximal torque I mean the torque that can be applied at 3 o'c (maximal force with full tangential effect) This special technique applies the same torque between 11-12 as that applied by natural pedalling between 2-3, continuous maximal torque is applied from 12-3. Normal torque is applied from 3 - 5.

PhitBoy said:
backdoor said:
Nothing more than basic secondary education, no professional background.

Thanks for being so honest. I suspect that your educational background is really at the heart of the debate/disconnect throughout this topic.
Several of those of us who are arguing with you have advanced degrees. While that may sound pretentious I'm not saying we have superior knowledge just because of letters behind our name. However, with advanced training comes an understanding of what we do know and what we don't know.

What is it ye don't know ?

backdoor said:
JayKosta said:
backdoor said:

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Greater torque can be applied between 11-1 than what can be applied by natural pedalling between 2-4.
By maximal torque I mean the torque that can be applied at 3 o'c (maximal force with full tangential effect) This special technique applies the same torque between 11-12 as that applied by natural pedalling between 2-3, continuous maximal torque is applied from 12-3. Normal torque is applied from 3 - 5.

What a vivid imagination you have. If you are so sure of this why have you never had your theories tested? We have had the means and ways for the last 40 years now and much of what you claim has been easily testable for the last 100 years.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

backdoor said:
berend said:
backdoor said:

And what about the almost idling of the legs as the cranks move from 11-1 and 5-7

I do not care, it's sub-second (sub one crank rotation) and sub-full-muscle-contraction. You need to prove that this (caring about pedal stroke supposed advantage) has an improvement that extends to multiple crank rotations, ie. that the average sustained power goes up.

No one cares if you change 11-1 at the expense of 12-12.

Please don't edit out the rest of my response. Now you make it seem like the important bit is that I believe there's a spot where your power drops to zero. That's not the important bit.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

backdoor said:
JayKosta said:
backdoor said:

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Maximum applicable torque to the crankset happens when both feet push simultaneously. This results in zero torque on the chain, but the crank is under a lot of stress.

Maximum torque on the chain happens when you hold the rear brake. This results in lots of torque on the chain, but zero speed (and hence zero power)

Maximum possible torque on the wheel happens when the biggest muscles are involved. That's why leg press and squats in the gym happen with lots of weight (multiple times bodyweight) and certainly with multiple times the weight you can push your foot forwards with.

None of this tells us anything about endurance (aerobic or even anaerobic) benefits.

CoachFergie said:
backdoor said:
JayKosta said:
backdoor said:

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

What a vivid imagination you have. If you are so sure of this why have you never had your theories tested? We have had the means and ways for the last 40 years now and much of what you claim has been easily testable for the last 100 years.

http://cyclingtips.com/2013/09/climbing-and-time-trialling-how-power-outputs-are-affected/

Another mashing disadvantage Anquetil eliminated with his TT technique.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

backdoor said:
CoachFergie said:
backdoor said:
JayKosta said:
backdoor said:

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

http://cyclingtips.com/2013/09/climbing-and-time-trialling-how-power-outputs-are-affected/

You're:
(a) assuming this is related to a disadvantage (vs. say, specificity)
(b) assuming Anquetil eliminated it.
(c) assuming Anquetil eliminated it using a technique.
(d) assuming Anquetil eliminated it using a technique you attribute to him.

Start with (a).

berend said:
backdoor said:
backdoor said:
JayKosta said:
backdoor said:

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

You're:

Start with (a).[/quote]

I'm assuming nothing, I do it in exactly the same way that Anquetil used his muscles to extend the main power sector in each pedal stroke from 60 deg. to over 120 deg. We both discovered this same semi circular TT technique.

Re:

CoachFergie said:
And assumption is the mother of all fudge ups!

This man is working on a new climbing technique,

"

People would like to think that their motor functions are as intelligent as they are. The truth is you learned most of the basic motor functions before you were forming sentences, and more complex functions are built upon those. People don't pedal based on understanding how the muscles work, they pedal based on what kept them from falling down when they were 2. "

backdoor said:
backdoor said:

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

What a vivid imagination you have. If you are so sure of this why have you never had your theories tested? We have had the means and ways for the last 40 years now and much of what you claim has been easily testable for the last 100 years.[/quote][/quote]

Another mashing disadvantage Anquetil eliminated with his TT technique.[/quote]

You're:

Start with (a).[/quote]

I'm assuming nothing, I do it in exactly the same way that Anquetil used his muscles to extend the main power sector in each pedal stroke from 60 deg. to over 120 deg. We both discovered this same semi circular TT technique.[/quote]

Your assumption is duly noted. We await your presentation of actual data to show it is anything more than assumption. Given the technology to test your claims has been available for the last forty years should be very easy to do.

CoachFergie said:

If you haven't studied physiology, or biomechanics, at an advanced level, and performed research where you have to measure these things on a daily basis, worked with other sport scientists, whose aims are to improve cycling, not to just document what is happening currently then I suspect it is you who has little understanding of the concept Noel.[/quote]

You are forgetting this statement in one of your earlier posts.

CoachFergie wrote:
Youtube clips from WCSS in Leeds. Most of the main presentations...

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekhd7YHlOQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekhd7YHlOQg

Check out the video on pedalling. Over 500 studies on the subject of how we pedal and yet not one makes a valid suggestion on how to improve this better than how we naturally pedal!
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz

TRENDING THREADS