• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The pedaling technique thread

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Golly, what drivel. Fignon would have won the Tour in 1989 had he worn an aero helmet! That provides no support to your ideas.

We all know it is easy to apply extra power through any section of the pedal stroke. But what any power meter shows you is that this comes at a cost of less power elsewhere in the pedal stroke and lower efficiency.

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
Too bad you are either too lazy or selfish to share your wisdom with others. And I don't mean your random musings here or a link to a YouTube video of a rider from last century.

I've already explained in detail what's involved. What I find hard to understand is the lack of common sense found in cycling. Alex and CF keep asking for data, which can only mean they are incapable of realizing the effect having the ability to apply maximal torque at 12, 1, 2 and 3 can have on pedalling.

I'd argue that you are the one incapable of realising the effect it has: it -- at best -- has no effect.

berend said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
Too bad you are either too lazy or selfish to share your wisdom with others. And I don't mean your random musings here or a link to a YouTube video of a rider from last century.

I've already explained in detail what's involved. What I find hard to understand is the lack of common sense found in cycling. Alex and CF keep asking for data, which can only mean they are incapable of realizing the effect having the ability to apply maximal torque at 12, 1, 2 and 3 can have on pedalling.

I'd argue that you are the one incapable of realising the effect it has: it -- at best -- has no effect.

Leaving aside the increased tangential effect of the force you are applying, your rear wheel is getting its power with the same smoothness as an out of phase tandem.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem2.html

backdoor said:
berend said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:

Leaving aside the increased tangential effect of the force you are applying, your rear wheel is getting its power with the same smoothness as an out of phase tandem.
I've already shown the effect of changing the manner in which power is applied around the pedal stroke makes no difference to the sustainable speed of a rider on a bicycle.

IOW in order to go faster, ceteris paribus, one needs to increase the power. So far you have provided zero data to demonstrate this happens when one changes the way they pedal from what they normally do to your mythical technique.

So, data please.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
backdoor said:
berend said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:

I've already shown the effect of changing the manner in which power is applied around the pedal stroke makes no difference to the sustainable speed of a rider on a bicycle.

IOW in order to go faster, ceteris paribus, one needs to increase the power. So far you have provided zero data to demonstrate this happens when one changes the way they pedal from what they normally do to your mythical technique.

How about changing the manner in which force is applied to the pedal around the pedal stroke, (e g) changing a maximal semi tangential force to a fully tangential force.

backdoor said:
How about changing the manner in which force is applied to the pedal around the pedal stroke, (e g) changing a maximal semi tangential force to a fully tangential force.
----
It all depends on how much 'physical cost' there is in applying the force.
The 'physical cost' including things such as -
- What muscles are involved and the efficiency of those muscles moving in the required manner.
- The endurance of those muscles for longterm use.
- The amount of O2 and 'fuel' required for the muscle and whether that amount can be delivered.
- The amount of power or resistance that occurs in the non-power-production portions of the crank rotation.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

JayKosta said:
backdoor said:
----
It all depends on how much 'physical cost' there is in applying the force.
The 'physical cost' including things such as -
- What muscles are involved and the efficiency of those muscles moving in the required manner.
- The endurance of those muscles for longterm use.
- The amount of O2 and 'fuel' required for the muscle and whether that amount can be delivered.
- The amount of power or resistance that occurs in the non-power-production portions of the crank rotation.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

The muscles involved in generating this additional maximal fully tangential force are the largest muscles in the body (the glutes) which are used in a way natural pedallers don't know how to use them, the quads,lower legs and ankles are used to direct this force tangentially to the cranks. There is minimal resistance during the recovery 180 deg'

backdoor said:
The muscles involved in generating this additional maximal fully tangential force are the largest muscles in the body (the glutes) which are used in a way natural pedallers don't know how to use them, the quads,lower legs and ankles are used to direct this force tangentially to the cranks. There is minimal resistance during the recovery 180 deg'
Data please.

[quote="backdoor

The muscles involved in generating this additional maximal fully tangential force are the largest muscles in the body (the glutes) which are used in a way natural pedallers don't know how to use them, the quads,lower legs and ankles are used to direct this force tangentially to the cranks. There is minimal resistance during the recovery 180 deg'[/quote]

Noel,

How in the world could one use the glutes to produce maximal torque at the the 12 o'clock position? The glutes extend the leg to make it more inline with the torso. What you're suggesting is utter nonsense.

Hugh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

sciguy said:
backdoor said:

Noel,

How in the world could one use the glutes to produce maximal torque at the the 12 o'clock position? The glutes extend the leg to make it more inline with the torso. What you're suggesting is utter nonsense.

Hugh

Was going to say the same thing. The glutes push the upper leg down and back at 12, impossible to be 'fully tangental'. Maybe you need to drop the seat really low and slam it back to 60deg so you get that tug of war position...that way you can push from behind the crank instead of overtop of the crank???

JamesCun said:
sciguy said:
backdoor said:

Noel,

Hugh

Was going to say the same thing. The glutes push the upper leg down and back at 12, impossible to be 'fully tangental'. Maybe you need to drop the seat really low and slam it back to 60deg so you get that tug of war position...that way you can push from behind the crank instead of overtop of the crank???

All the experts and engineers searching for equipment that could eliminate the dead spot sector would agree with you, but the fact is there is more than one way the glutes can be used. The solution can be found by adapting a different glutes' technique from another powerful force generating sport for use in this sector and beyond. This has already been explained.

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
sciguy said:
backdoor said:

Noel,

Hugh

All the experts and engineers searching for equipment that could eliminate the dead spot sector would agree with you, but the fact is there is more than one way the glutes can be used. The solution can be found by adapting a different glutes' technique from another powerful force generating sport for use in this sector and beyond. This has already been explained.

Muscle act across a joint based on their origin/insertion...the glutes extend the leg. Please explain what other action they do that would involve the foot moving forward at 12.

JamesCun said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
sciguy said:
backdoor said:

Noel,

Hugh

Muscle act across a joint based on their origin/insertion...the glutes extend the leg. Please explain what other action they do that would involve the foot moving forward at 12.

There are two ways they can extend the leg.

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
sciguy said:
Noel,

Hugh

There are two ways they can extend the leg.

Please share how the foot moves forward at 12,1?? Extend, in terms of the hip, means moving the leg inline with the torso...that is not going to result in the foot moving forward...as required by your claim of 'fully tangential'

JamesCun said:
[quote="

Please share how the foot moves forward at 12,1?? Extend, in terms of the hip, means moving the leg inline with the torso...that is not going to result in the foot moving forward...as required by your claim of 'fully tangential'

Were you in this thread from its beginning ?

backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
[quote="

Please feel free to post the link to any post/s where you actually explained how one could use their glutes to produce maximum tangential force at the 12 o'clock position. I'm not sure if you don't know which muscles you're referring to or what the word tangential means or perhaps both.

Hugh

sciguy said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
[quote="

Please feel free to post the link to any post/s where you actually explained how one could use their glutes to produce maximum tangential force at the 12 o'clock position. I'm not sure if you don't know which muscles you're referring to or what the word tangential means or perhaps both.

Hugh

No need for me to post a link. A tangential pedaling force is a force applied at a right angle to the crank, which means you will get 100% torque return from that force. You supplied the link as part of my earlier explanation as to how maximal tangential force can be applied at 12 o'c. It's a simple technique that's done in almost the same way as ' Indoor Tug o' War' competitors apply their maximal forward force from shoe to floor mat and is most effective when done in the seated racing drops position.

backdoor said:
sciguy said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
[quote="

Hugh

No need for me to post a link. A tangential pedaling force is a force applied at a right angle to the crank, which means you will get 100% torque return from that force. You supplied the link as part of my earlier explanation as to how maximal tangential force can be applied at 12 o'c. It's a simple technique that's done in almost the same way as ' Indoor Tug o' War' competitors apply their maximal forward force from shoe to floor mat and is most effective when done in the seated racing drops position.

Does this look the least bit like how you look on the drops???????????????????

original

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

sciguy said:
backdoor said:
sciguy said:
backdoor said:
JamesCun said:
[quote="

Hugh

Does this look the least bit like how you look on the drops???????????????????

original

All makes sense now...Noel is riding a recumbent and his 12 is everyone else's 3...totally clear now.

JamesCun said:

That lying back position makes it more difficult for their opponents to pull them forward. It's how their leg muscles are being used to generate the leg force that makes the all important difference, unlike rowers or outdoor T o'W men whose leg muscle action is almost similar to that of natural pedallers. To apply maximal torque to the crank at 12 and 1 you need only a fraction of the force this technique is capable of generating and unlike these T o'W men, a TT cyclist is applying his force to a fast moving target.

backdoor said:
JamesCun said:

That lying back position makes it more difficult for their opponents to pull them forward. It's how their leg muscles are being used to generate the leg force that makes the all important difference, unlike rowers or outdoor T o'W men whose leg muscle action is almost similar to that of natural pedallers. To apply maximal torque to the crank at 12 and 1 you need only a fraction of the force this technique is capable of generating and unlike these T o'W men, a TT cyclist is applying his force to a fast moving target.

https://www.google.ie/#q=indoor+tug+o'war+video

TRENDING THREADS