• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 908 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco fanboys are stating Remco could win one day races against MvdP and Poggi.
If Remco could train specially for that race and peaking, while MvdP and Poggi isn't at their peaks.
MvdP and Poggi wins big one day races even though they aren't at their peak level
I see the prime scenario to look a lot like worlds 2023. Remco attacks but cannot gap because pog can follow and mvp can claw back with the pretenders on his wheel. With hills, essentially the same. But we haven’t seen remco vs pog in that specific scenario.

You are the childish one. I am just stating the Remco is overrated and a very limited rider at the top level. When they learn to not let him get away then he will prove far more ineffective. I like Pogi as a rider yes. However, I do understand the brilliance of his rivals like Vingegaard and van der Poel and can talk objectively about them and their relative strengths and weaknesses. However, Remco is not a rival to Pogi. Remco is a better TT but there is no road race profile where Remco could beat an in-form Pogi. Remco is a top rider but he will always be one step below Elite
As long as both have not reached their physical potential these discussions are just futile since so much can happen, trained etc… so stating your opinion as facts is childish and trolling. Limited riders dont win a GT and multiple big races… who has had the better career we can only tell in 10-15yrs. As for now Pogacar does, but so much racing needs to be done. Ask Bernal if he’d thought his career would be the way it is now.

For me, as a Belgian I like Belgians winning. But equally i love good races. Therefore I appreciate Pogacar, MVDP, Vingegard winning too.

Reactions: Andre
Regarding Amstel, i get the impression you either did not watch the race completely or forgot what happened? Healy was closing the gap down fast, until the race director decided to give Pogacar a hand. Had that not happened, i find it hard to believe Healy would not have bridged.
Healy attacked Pidcock, and once his effort for that was over he didn't gain any more time. On Bemelerberg (without any car draft) he lost more time than he ever gained.
Already on the first ascent of Cauberg did Pogi thin the group down. Rode on and pulled through with a puncture for several km. Closed a 11'' gap on Kruisberg after his bike change. Then already went on Eyserbosweg immediately afterwards and dropped everyone but Pidcock, with Healy bridging up after Pidcock took the front and lowered the pace on the top of the climb. From then on Healy didn't take a pull in the group (i.e. for ~7.2 km until Keutenberg started), and he was the first to drop on Keutenberg, losing 10'' to Pogi there with an effort 14 % slower. He could then ride with Pidcock for nearly 15 km, before he attacked on Geulhemmerberg and dropped Pidcock.

I think it's pretty fair to say they had spend different levels of energy before that moment. Healy, unlike Pidcock, had not gone too deep on any climb, and was by far the rider with least wind on his nose.

Yet he only took 12'' on Pogi on the 3.7 km following his attack. He lost 18'' to Pogi on Bemelerberg, counting from the uphill part of the bikepath through the forest.

So no, I would not call lowering the gap from 32'' to 20'' during your attack when you are the freshest only to lose more than that on the next climb as "almost able to close a gap".

Today, yes Remco won by 2 minutes. It was a dominant win. However, it would only take one guy being able to hang onto his wheel for him to lose this race. That is his limitation as he is not explosive enough to drop other top riders. Even had Hirschi been on 2020 form, or close to that, then he would have won. The 2 minutes is also inflated a lot because they all knew he was going to win. Look for example at the 2021 European championships won by Sonny Colbrelli. Colbrelli was a good rider, especially in 2021, however he was not a super elite rider and yet Remco couldn't drop him on the climb as he lacked explosivity. Had that been a TT on that course, Remco would have won by 2 minutes. More riders need to have the guts to hang on his wheel as if they do they will be rewarded with wins. And yes the likes of Jan Tratnik (who Pogi marked Remco with idiotically in the Aus world championships) will not be able to do this. But the semi-elite riders like Colbrelli will be able to
This is straight up ludicrous.

Remco hasn't yet won, or finished ahead of, a one day race against MvdP and Poggi where they were peaking and went for the win.
Remco hasn't yet finished ahead of Jonas, Rogla, Poggi and Thomas in GC. Both one and three week race. Where they all peaked and went for the win.
I'm confused. Weren't you the guy claiming Evenepoel fans are the ones always looking for excuses?

Also, which big races has Van der Poel EVER won without peaking, as you claim. Because as far as i know, he only won MSR, RVV, PR and WCC. Maybe i missed some races?

Seriously? Who is having summer, just had nationals, just had big races? Hint: its not Mexico.

Were Men Without Hats singing about Mexico?
Yes, that was a serious question. You specified none of those stipulations, just "underside". If you were just referencing weather conditions then Mexico is certainly very rideable this time of year. Because, as you know, hypebeast Del Toro tried and failed to match Remco. Then again I don't even know if Del Toro lives in Mexico.

In any case I disagree with your point. I don't think top Colombians or Aussies are actually on their best form. They should still be targeting the letour or whatever, not their own nats.

But I do think that wherever you rate Remco compared to the his contemporaries, he's the one who most deserves this thread title given his old school way of winning.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
And for who will beat who in some races or sprints, it’s mostly who has got more energy left that day and spent the least energy (if they’re equal). That’s even the thing on my Sunday group rides, every week is different.

Just enjoy the races as they are, you can’t know if someone is in peak shape or missing some %’s. We all know there are 5-10 riders who have another gear, even in base form like everyone is now.

Looking forward to the upcoming classics and stage races.

2020 remco is back
The one that couldn't follow Ivan Ramiro Sosa on the climb? I'm not sure it's great news for Remco. He is surely a much better rider than in 2020.

• Love
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Yes, that was a serious question. You specified none of those stipulations, just "underside". If you were just referencing weather conditions then Mexico is certainly very rideable this time of year. Because, as you know, hypebeast Del Toro tried and failed to match Remco. Then again I don't even know if Del Toro lives in Mexico.

In any case I disagree with your point. I don't think top Colombians or Aussies are actually on their best form. They should still be targeting the letour or whatever, not their own nats.

But I do think that wherever you rate Remco compared to the his contemporaries, he's the one who most deserves this thread title given his old school way of winning.
I rate RE as one of the top.

"underside" is clearly down under. Mexico is not down under no matter how good the winter riding is.

No one is on TdF form yet.

Just confirming what I said. In 2020 Sosa was able to drop Remco on the climbs, now he is not. Like I said. Remco is a better rider today, which is normal.
Unfortunately, like many of your posts lately, that is factually untrue. He was able to "drop" (11s last k attack) Evenepoel on ONE climb. Singular. Not "the climbs". Because on the other climb 2 days earlier when Evenepoel won, Sosa lost over 7 minutes. Ouch.