• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 883 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Why peak for MSR? Not that his odds of winning are that poor, because it’s a crapshoot, but having to out-punch MVDP, Van Aert, Pogacar at the top of the Poggio and then hang with them on the descent doesn’t work in his favor. Maybe a few years back when folks were still calculating “no way he’ll survive doing a 50 km solo” he might have used that strategy, but I doubt riders will be dumb enough to allow him to go up the road like that now.
Fine to ride it, but doesn’t it make more sense to not taper training until close to RVV?
I meant more as in peaking for spring classics in general, from MSR-LBL like Pogacar did last year. But if I was him I wouldn’t make my peak so wide, only focus on the last week, maybe De Ronde van Vlaanderen, and the rest should be stage races and everything on TDF

Reactions: Sciatic
O
Yes, but the same can be said for many TTers. They were not there or were but not with the best numbers.
I recommend also a bit more humility regarding who's writing nonsense.
Oh, please, if you can't even recognize the colossal gap that separates preparing to be in top form for the only TT that really matters as an isolated event, and an end of the season tertiary objective for one who had a host of major targets throughout the year, then be humble enough to at least rethink the absurdity of your analysis. And I said it was stupid for Remco to trouble himself with a race, all things considered, that was simply a needless overstretch, when it's time to stop, reboot and start envisioning how 2024 might best be planned and tackled.

Reactions: Berniece
O

Oh, please, if you can't even recognize the colossal gap that separates preparing to be in top form for the only TT that really matters as an isolated event, and an end of the season tertiary objective for one who had a host of major targets throughout the year, then be humble enough to at least rethink the absurdity of your analysis. And I said it was stupid for Remco to trouble himself with a race, all things considered, that was simply a needless overstretch, when it's time to stop, reboot and start envisioning how 2024 might best be planned and tackled.
...but when you're paid as a pro to show up at end-of-season events, you go. It's the bonus of being a respected rider and the money can be good. I doubt he jeopardized next season with the effort any more than Pogacar in the Asian crit shows he does.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I stated before that Remco (or anyother rider, for that matter) winning the RWC TT did not make him the best TTer of the world.
Generally I would say that would be true of the Worlds TT. However, this rider, who has won GT TT's as well, who beat an in-form Ganna in the World's? That certainly puts him in the best "TT Rider in the World" conversation. That conversation? Remco and Ganna, that's the list. And in a close competition on which reasonable people could disagree, I'll take the guy in the Rainbow Jersey. For now.

So now he got beat by the new kid monster in town. It doesn't mean he did not deserve the RWC TT title, but certainly adds perspective.
Well it's certainly an incredible performance by the kid, and no mistake he might soon be the best TT Rider in the World. But he's not yet, and the Chrono de Nations or whatever the balls it's called, doesn't seem like the best measuring stick, no? It's and end of season race that's exactly no one's target. Remco rode it so he could put on his rainbow slippers.

Not sure if you'd disagree with much of that, but curious your thoughts.

Last edited:
Generally I would say that would be true of the Worlds TT. However, this rider, who has won GT TT's as well, who beat an in-form Ganna in the World's? That certainly puts him in the best "TT Rider in the World" conversation. That conversation? Remco and Ganna, that's the list. And in a close competition on which reasonable people could disagree, I'll take the guy in the Rainbow Jersey. For now.

Well it's certainly an incredible performance by the kid, and no mistake he might soon be the best TT Rider in the World. But he's not yet, and the Chrono de Nations or whatever the balls it's called, doesn't seem like the best measuring stick, no? It's and end of season race that's exactly no one's target. Remco rode it so he could put on his rainbow slippers.

Not sure if you'd disagree with much of that, but curious your thoughts.
Remco’s certainly the beat TTer in the world this year considering he is at least in the convo as best flat TTer while being a much better climber than Ganna and Tarling but some of this analysis needs to be contextualised with the fact that Tarling has major kit and minor position changes immediately after worlds that Bigham said resulted in a >10w gain in aero. Just that and an equal performance would have put him around Ganna at worlds, then you have whatever he lost from not having a PM and trying to get it connected for over a KM.

The idea that Remco got any significant fatigue that would impact his goals for 2024 is pretty ridiculous tbh. It's a bit of z2 for a week, some warm up efforts for the TT and then one hard effort. If he was a guy that would find that fatiguing in any manner, he simply wouldn't be a top professional. Got a big chunk of change in the bank, tested some new TT equipment and got another outing in the rainbow jersey. Seems worth it.

The idea that Remco got any significant fatigue that would impact his goals for 2024 is pretty ridiculous tbh. It's a bit of z2 for a week, some warm up efforts for the TT and then one hard effort. If he was a guy that would find that fatiguing in any manner, he simply wouldn't be a top professional. Got a big chunk of change in the bank, tested some new TT equipment and got another outing in the rainbow jersey. Seems worth it.
Agree, laughable.

Do you really need to go on a peak for one, one day race? With one of those only being about a 40k long ITT.
UK Hill climbers have really been wasting their time it seems. They do a massive peak for one usually 500-4000m TT.

Yes, generally if you want to do your absolute best at any performance regardless of length you need to peak for it. That's not a real question.

Do you really need to go on a peak for one, one day race? With one of those only being about a 40k long ITT.
Yes of course, riders do it all the time. A peak is simply the best version of your form. This year he planned to peak for the Giro and the Worlds. He was absolutely flying in the Giro, and won the Worlds against an in-form Ganna. Trying to extend that Worlds peak to the Vuelta didn't work, there was just too much competition.

Yes of course, riders do it all the time. A peak is simply the best version of your form. This year he planned to peak for the Giro and the Worlds. He was absolutely flying in the Giro, and won the Worlds against an in-form Ganna. Trying to extend that Worlds peak to the Vuelta didn't work, there was just too much competition.
Worth noting as well that Remco inferred that his peak at worlds was far high than the start of the giro. Regarding his pacing plan said that the opening Giro TT was around what he planned whereas worlds he said he was consistently 20w above what he had on the schedule. Now diamonds in the legs days aren’t necessarily just a result of a planned peak as we’ve seen many times but it does show he was pretty much at his best ever there.

I wasn't of course implying that physical fatigue was an issue, but do think it was an unnessecary mental effort at the end of the long season.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco’s certainly the beat TTer in the world this year considering he is at least in the convo as best flat TTer while being a much better climber than Ganna and Tarling but some of this analysis needs to be contextualised with the fact that Tarling has major kit and minor position changes immediately after worlds that Bigham said resulted in a >10w gain in aero. Just that and an equal performance would have put him around Ganna at worlds, then you have whatever he lost from not having a PM and trying to get it connected for over a KM.
I'm sure that's all true, but not sure why my comments "need to be contextualized". Sure, Tarling looks awesome. We can add him to the conversation as soon as he beats an in-form Ganna and Remco in at least one race that matters. Don't think it's going to be a long wait but it's not happened yet.

Reactions: Eeslliw
I wasn't of course implying that physical fatigue was an issue, but do think it was an unnessecary mental effort at the end of the long season.

No worries. The merger didn't happen so instead of starvation camps with Skeletor Remco will be eating pizzas for two months with the consent of the Old Man. He will be mentally fresh as a daisy.